How to Treat Toenail Fungus
Nail fungal infections are spread by a culture of fungus called dermatophytes. Managing this condition may be somewhat taxing and take a long time. Below are some ways you can choose to treat toe nail fungal infections:
Causes of the outbreak:
- Wearing too tight shoes may affect nails ushering in to fungal infection of toe nail.
- Injuries left uncovered like the ones caused by cutting nails too short may let infectious microorganisms enter your body.
- Likewise, nail polish does not let nails to breathe —moisture accumulates underneath nails. Moreover, a humid and dark atmosphere facilitates breeding of fungus.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Brittle nails.
- Pain over the affected area of toe.
- The infected area releases stinking smell.
- Toe nails are marred with white or yellow blots.
- In extreme conditions, the toe nail may separate from its bed.
Treatment to be dispensed at home:
Most of the methods of treatment to be dispensed in the home setting chiefly employ natural remedies:
Prepare a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar in lukewarm water. Dip the affected foot in the solution for about half an hour daily at night. Continue the practice for a minimum period of 2 weeks.
Tea Tree Oil
Being an antiseptic, tea tree oil can treat toe nail fungus. Gently apply a concentrated measure of tea tree oil with an admixture of olive oil over the affected nail. Practice it daily at night.
Thymol present in Listerine is believed to cure toe nail fungus. Submerge the infected area of your foot in a Listerine container for half an hour daily. According to the severity of the condition you may dilute the solution by pouring in water.
Numerous medicines are being dispensed for toe nail fungus. The chief among them is Zeta Clear. It has a strong chemical composition and is worthy enough to cure the root of infection. Other most recommended medicines include Lamisil, Sporanox, and Penlac.
Prevention is to be exercised to prevent treatment for some people may find it hard to treat toe nail fungus. Some even go to the extent of opting to put up with it for good. However, to prevent it happen you may follow hygienic steps appended below:
- If your feet sweat excessively, do use foot powder.
- Buy only those shoes that measure your feet properly.
- Always clean nail clippers because microorganisms reside in filthy areas like these.
- Always wear on socks well washed on regular basis. Prefer cotton socks in hot season for they absorb sweat quickly.
- Ensure that the crevices between your toes are sufficiently dry before putting on shoes, better use a hairdryer to ensure a prompt dry in case you are in a hurry.
Preservation of hygiene is the guarantee to best avoid toe nail fungus. Always scratch out dirt from out of your toe nails in addition to general cleaning of the foot. Remember that damp and dark zones are safe haven for the culture of fungi. To absorb moisture from out of your feet at microscopic level air out them before you proceed to wear shoes.
Filed Under: Conditions & Treatments