How to Treat Lice
Head lice swarming are very common among school going children. Head lice can move from one person to another without difficulty through direct contact with one person being already infected. Below are some useful pieces of information you can benefit from to get rid of head lice for good:
How they infest your head:
Coming into direct contact with an already infected being. Using combs, brushes, headbands and ribbons of people already infected with lice will expose you to the threat of getting infested too.
Symptoms of the condition:
- Irritation triggered by your body’s response to the lice biting.
- Spot injuries resulting from frequent scratching.
- If the condition is not brought under control forthwith, the sores so caused could turn infected.
Method of treatment dispensed:
- You can see nits, nymphs and adult lice when you part your hair. Head lice are commonly seen on the scalp, back of the ears and nape.
- You may use an over the counter medicine to do away with head lice infestation but this ought to be done with measured doze duly prescribed by your physician.
- Pyrethrins are derived from chrysanthemum flowers. Though these cures can kill nymphs and adult lice yet can’t effectively do away with nits or unhatched eggs.
- Permethrins are, however, able to kill newly hatched nits and nymphs a few days after the initial treatment even.
Medications prescribed to eliminate lice:
- Lindane or Kwell is one of those medications that are the most commonly used medications dispensed as head lice shampoo.
- Malathion or Ovide is a first rate medicine prescribed for effective elimination of head lice infestation.
- First of all use any medications as per prescribed method. Overdose and misapplication of these medications may leave detrimental impact or any serious health condition.
- Don’t pursue an eclectic approach, i.e. a blend of different head lice treatments for the results can be unpredictably hazardous.
Precautionary measures for dispensing medication:
You may be required to undergo a second treatment of the same medication; in either case it would be advisable to ask a health care practitioner when early administration of a medicine can’t effectively eradicate the whole of the head lice.
- Take off your clothes
- Proceed with the application of the prescribed medicine.
- Your clothes must be fresh, clean and tidy.
- Examine your head after a lapse of about 8 hours to see if the lice are found crawling there passively. You might have to wait a few more hours before they die.
- Take out the dead lice and nits with the help of a Nit comb.
Precautionary measures expected at home
In order to effectively treat head lice, you’ll also have to examine your home before hand:
- After treatment all linen and beds are to be machine washed.
- Use hot water for washing.
- Dip your hair accessories like comb, brushes and other hair accessories in alcohol or hot water for some time.
- Vacuum out your furniture and carpet.
It is import to hurry up treatment after you establish that you have a head replete with lice infestation to avoid sores and boils.
Filed Under: Body & Skin Care