How to Treat Jet Lag
Arrival during daytime
At times when you have resolved your arrival to be destined in the daytime, following is the account to suggest you on how to prepare yourself up and cast a likely halt from falling asleep:
- The first and the foremost step involved in controlling your sleep is getting used to a rich protein based breakfast. Eggs, meat and leafy green vegetables are a few healthy sources of protein. Protein has the essential traits to keep you all awake.
- Do sleep well while you are boarding a plane before that you reach your destination point. This deliberate early sleep will enable you to control it when you would be about to reach your target destination.
- If you find any spare time, have a little stroll out there in the sunlight; it will help inculcate in your being that it is daytime or the time to be awake. The practice will also tailor your body to be more vigilant and conscious.
- In case you were having a strong urge to sleep, you may take a little nap. Beware that you have to accomplish it by 2:00 pm positively. For that you may set an alarm to wake up yourself in a matter of an hour.
- An intake of a bit of caffeine may be helpful after you are done with your little nap to remain alert and conscious subsequently.
- Going to bed at a routine time, such as 8:00 pm or 9:00 pm is advisable here. It may be very much probable that that you feel sleepy quite earlier than that, if so, try hard to put it off till normal sleep time approaches you.
Arrival during nighttime
In case you were arriving at your destination in the time of night, following detail will reflect on how you could pull through ‘jet lag’ sooner than quickly:
- Eat meals with carbohydrates as their chief constituent. In this connection, you may find pasta, rice and starchy substances like potatoes full of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates will help you feel sleepier.
- Keep waking on board on the way to your target location to sustain sleepiness once you get there.
- Always go to sleep at the normal sleeping time even when not feeling the essential urge to sleep. Encouraging sleepiness by going into a warm shower, drinking warm milk or massage if possible. After turning the lights off keep your eyes closed until you slip into sleep. Don’t sleep beyond the required time even if you are strongly urged to do so.
- You can also seek out an over the counter sleeping pill if you find it necessary to help you enter into sleep.
- You can have small meals throughout the course of the day, meanwhile your body happens to configure to routine mealtimes in the new realm of time.
- Keep your surrounding mildly cold to make it happen for you to sleep in real sense.
- You may have a regular sip of an alcoholic beverage unless you are thoroughly comfortable with your new time zone setting.
- Keep yourself away from driving while you are on the way to be at home with your new time zone issue.
Filed Under: Mental Health