How to Treat Food Poisoning
Food poisoning poses to be an extremely painful experience. The condition holds the moment you happen to ingest contaminated food material, particularly meat, eggs or any dairy product. In the following are some vital tips on how to do away with food poisoning and avoid it from occurring in the first place:
Signs of Food Poisoning
Symptoms for food poisoning may extend from just hour long duration to round the clock period since the time of intake of the contaminated food material. The symptoms of this condition may be multifarious according to the kind of contamination that had polluted your stomach; nevertheless they usually happen to exhibit following irregularities of behavior:
- Stomach cramps
- Headaches and / or dizziness
Treatment dispensed for curing food poisoning
While you are being victimized by food poisoning, you will tend to require all the possible help available out there at your beck and call. Following is appended the methodology on how to deal with the pain and suffering and achieve quick recovery from the condition:
- Food poisoning is very much likely to trigger some vomiting and diarrhea that would ultimately result into dehydration. Maintain in your body minimum level of hydration by intakes of water, however small they may be but regular ones.
- Ask the victim to drink only hygienically clean and transparent liquids. Don’t intake diuretics, such as tea or coffee. You may be asked by your doctor to drink oral electrolytes; the advice is equally important for the minors.
- Do eat some food stuff to maintain your energy levels to facilitate quick recovery. However, in this pursuit remain confined to dry food only such as dry toast, crackers or plain biscuits. This kind of simple food stuff, referred to as ‘Bland Food,’ would be convenient to gulp down. Coupled with chicken or vegetable broth, you will feast on a fine nutritious meal in itself. Don’t go after excessively flavoured food, fruits and spicy food.
- You may also take probiotic supplements such as yogurt or probiotic pills. Yogurt nurtures the live bacteria, commonly known as good bacteria, these would aid you heal and treat the symptoms the food contaminants brought about in your digestive system. Keep up doing with plain or unflavoured yogurt and avoid any additives such as sugar to prevent unexpected irritation in stomach.
- Spare appropriate length of time for rest. This could take some time before the contaminants are thoroughly expelled out of your body. Don’t carry out any taxing physical workouts meanwhile.
- Finally, do visit your doctor if the signs still persist after five days or you have a fever during these days. The minors, esp. infants must be awarded immediate medical attention as well.
- Select fresh eatables of good standard from reliable market / stores.
- Before eating, always clean your hands thoroughly with water.
- Ensure that the utensils you bring under use are clean and sterile.
- Flush wash raw fruit and vegetables prior to eating.
- Without delay refrigerate leftover food.
- Store food as per instructions provided on the labels.
Filed Under: Conditions & Treatments