How to Treat Emphysema
Emphysema is a chronic lung disease that is chiefly contracted due to the annihilation of lung tissues, particularly the bronchiole and alveoli. In the following are some significant tips you ought to be familiar with to treat emphysema:
- Smoking is one of the common causes an individual would suffer emphysema. The toxic tobacco combustive products one inhales out of smoking deteriorate the cells and structures of the lungs, causing you to experience a short of breath.
- Lung irritants can also cause an inflammatory condition in the lungs. Prolonged vulnerability to irritants, like fumes evolving out of paints and unhygienic air, could at length, inflict damage on lung tissues.
- Protein deficiency. While Trypsin, a digestive enzyme, causes damage to your lungs, a substance known as Alpha-1- anti Trypsin, protects them. In the absence of this substance, lungs are exposed to deterioration by trypsin and result in severe lung tissue damage.
Signs and symptoms:
The initial sign of emphysema is being out of breath. In case you have grown uncontrolled emphysema, you are very likely to experience other symptoms as well, such as the ones appended below:
- Chest congestion;
- Gasping occurs when your airway structures get knotted and air can’t escape via them smoothly;
- A phenomenon called ‘Barrel Chest’ holds when air is trapped in your lungs. On a close inspection, your physician will point out that ‘the anteroposterior diameter of your chest is larger than its anterior diameter.’
Diagnosis of the condition:
This method measures the potential of your lungs to pull in and expel air.
- Arterial Blood Gas (ABG) analysis:
ABG determines relative levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood stream.
- Chest X-ray:
It diagnoses emphysema, however relying fully on this test may not be appropriate for a comprehensive diagnosis.
- Corticosteroid therapy is effective to manage asthma.
- Bronchodilators are recommended for relaxing airway.
Prevention at home:
- Clear airways:
The mucus build-up will only aggravate the condition and contribute to breathing problems. In order to cough out mucus effectively, have sufficient water intakes daily.
- Good bye smoking:
Smoking will only worsen the condition. Ultimately you will have to sign up for a quit smoking program. This will teach you how to cease smoking.
- Workout some breathing techniques:
This will aid you stretch your lungs effectively and exhale air with appropriate measure:
- Diaphragmatic breathing.
Put your hand on your belly. Your hands ought to be elevated as the air gushes in. During the process, ensure that your breast doesn’t swell the moment you inhale air. Allow inhalation via your mouth and exhale slowly.
- Pursed-lip breathing.
Execute diaphragmatic inhaling and exhaling process slowly while your lips are kept open a little, as if you are kissing something.
The medical condition emphysema can be averted and cured effectively by adhering to codes of a healthy lifestyle. Quit smoking, perform regular physical activity and have a balanced diet. These are the fundamental features of a healthy life style that help us avoid diseases and enjoy our life to an optimum level.
Filed Under: Conditions & Treatments