How to Give a Sponge Bath
A sponge bath is normally administered to one who is restricted to bed and is not able to bathe him /her. Below are some pieces of advice to dispense a sponge bath:
- Hot water
- Cold water
- Clean face towel
- Small tub or large basin
- Liquid gentle cleansing soap
- Take some water in an electric kettle or electric jets and boil it up.
- Shift the hot water in the basin and then the same amount of some cold water twice to have three parts cold water and one part hot water. Mix it completely.
- Feel the temperature — if it’d welcome a sensitive skin. Immerse your elbow in the water gently. To further cool the water, you may remove some of the water from the basin and pour in cold water. Conversely, to render it a little warmer do the reverse.
- You can also add some moderate cleansing liquid soap in the water. Stir the water to produce a few suds.
- Strip off the person and keep him / her warm, under a blanket.
- Spread a large, dry towel under the person to prevent bedding from wetting.
- Take a towel and soak in the soapy water. Squeeze the towel gently to remove unwanted water. Apply the wet towel gently over the recipient’s face. Having done with one side of the body, dry it out with a dry towel to save the recipient from catching cold.
- Clean one portion of the body first: left arm, right arm, torso and legs. Give concentration over skin creases. Dry every member of the body before switching to the next.
- Having dealt with the ventral side, softly lead him / her to lie on to a side of the body. This move will help to clean the dorsal side of the body.
- Repeat the same process you did with the ventral side.
- Treat the private zones in the last. Do it with a separate piece of towel while allowing the recipient lie on his / her back, putting a towel under the butt area.
- Strut her knees up and tenderly take apart her legs.
- Apply down-the-stream strokes, from front to back, lightly washing the genital area. Don’t miss concentrating on skin creases. Rinse the genital area with the same motion pattern.
Remember! Administering a sponge bath requires a sense of delicacy on the part of the dispenser being a chief prerequisite.
Filed Under: Body & Skin Care