How to Get Relaxed Using Massage Therapy
A massage is a relaxation therapy that has been there from back in the year 3000 BC especially in the Far East. Its actually one of the oldest treatments used by human beings. In the Ancient Greek society at about the year 5 BC, scholars such as Hippocrates were for the idea that a daily massage of the body done using oil can help in maintaining a good health.
For a good massage session, one needs to lie on a firm and flat surface. The surface should not be too large such that it takes the masseur a lot of effort to reach all the body parts. A narrow surface that is almost the size of the person being massaged is good enough.
The surface should also be soft to ensure maximum comfort. Most people will prefer a small pillow or a clean towel to be put underneath to create the cushioning effect. To ensure that the person is secure, it’s advisable to cover all the parts of the body that are not being massaged. It also provides warmth and creates a relaxed mood in the person.
Why Get a Massage?
- Benefits of a massage are mostly health related although in the modern society it’s also a beauty therapy. This remedy was applied by the Greece physicians to treat patients suffering severe pains and stiff joints.
- It also helps in improving the blood circulation within the body and generally creates a feeling of elation on the person receiving the massage.
- Swedish massages are believed to get rid wastes within the muscle tissues such as uric and lactic acids. This accelerates muscle strain recovery and ensures faster replacement of worn out muscles. They also in stretching body ligaments and tendons by keeping them elastic and more flexible.
- It promotes better skin growth by opening up pores that remove wastes from the skin. It also stimulates the nerve endings on the skin making them more alert and hence the skin looks more beautiful.
- A massage can be a stress buster as it helps in relaxing the mind and creates a calm feeling.
- Massages are important in physiotherapy to help the body organs regain strength.
They vary from person to another. Depending on factors such as culture, masseurs will perform the massages differently. But the universal technique used by many cultures in the world is stroking and kneading. It involves a series of gentle strokes that are administered slowly in rhythmic movements. Depending on the wishes of the partner, the strokes can either be light or heavy. But always ensure that they are gently applied to avoid hurting the partner.
There is a variety of massaging oils that can be used depending on the tastes and preferences of the partner. Despite providing a lubricating effect, most these oils have offer beneficial effects especially on the skin. The price of the oils depends on their ingredients, scent or even color. The modern oils contain extracts from plants, roots, seeds or minerals.
Cold-pressed oils are the best as the vitamins and fatty acids contained in them are not destroyed during the manufacturing process.
Filed Under: Body & Skin Care