How to Get a Paternity Test
If a woman had more than one sexual partner when the child was conceived, she would not know the father of her child. This could look as if something out of a situation comedy, but it is what’s going on out there in the world. If you doubt the true status of your kid’s biological father, then it’s the high time to have a paternity test. Here go the essential procedural details you need to know in advance:
- DNA testing center
- Alleged fathers
- Minimum expenditure
- Look out for a DNA testing center in the vicinity. In case the test has been commissioned by the court, they’ll provide you an index of possible laboratory facilities to perform the test. You can also consult your trusted family doctor practitioner. Browsing the yellow pages or the Internet may be of help to trace DNA testing centers nearby.
- Plan for the DNA test. Spare some money for the tests can cost to the tune of $:400 – $:500. Moreover, they are not insured. However, if you have filed a case for child support against the father, you could get it tested free of cost.
- As per schedule, reach the DNA testing center along with the alleged father(s) and the child. All of you will allow your DNA for testing. Normally, it’s done via blood testing, but in some places, a sample from the interior lining of the cheek would do. All of you will have clean buccal swabs run along the cheek interior. To get accurate results it’s important that all of you proper follow the instructions.
- Next is to wait the result. Some centers are able to respond in a couple of days, while others may take weeks depending upon the nature of facilities available there. The DNA paternity tests have 99.9% accuracy, so waiting is yielding. Therefore, be patient for the receipt of results.
- On receipt of results, update the alleged fathers with it.
- Hold counseling, though terrible, but it’s inevitable. The counseling may prove extremely sentimental for both the parents and the offspring, therefore seeking a professional advice and assistance will be a great idea!
Accomplishing a paternity test could be the most stupendous experience that any parent, particularly a father, would undergo, but sometime it is inevitable. Let’s hope the results match your expectations!
Filed Under: Sexual Health