How to Cure Hiccups
Everybody in his childhood or adulthood occasionally experiences hiccups; the experience is not that unpleasant, but sustaining it over long spans can be bothersome. Luckily, there are certain techniques to treat hiccups, though all of them are not effective every time, but they are useful on a general scale:
- Cotton swab
- Peanut Butter
- Peach or orange juice
The Sweet Method
The method entails overloading of the nerve endings of the oral cavity with a sweet sensation.
- Get a teaspoon full of sugar.
- Cautiously pour the sugar in your mouth somewhat to the back of the tongue where there are sour taste buds.
- Keep it in the position for some five seconds. Meanwhile don’t let any hiccup to occur.
- Now engulf the whole sugar.
- Water may be taken afterwards.
In this method peanut butter can also be substituted for sugar. Make sure you don’t chew it or it won’t be effective.
The hiccup causing vagus nerve extends into the auditory system. If you activate the nerve endings somehow by inserting your fingers in the ears your vagus nerve gets stimulated relieving hiccups effectively.
When you intake sufficient water, there is a pause in hiccups’ cycle quieting down the nerves. In this connection try following two methods:
- Fetch a glass of water having room temperature.
- Slowly drink the whole water in a continuous stream without stop.
- Having drunk all the water, inhale and exhale long draughts of air slowly, hiccups are gone!
- Get a plastic glass full of water.
- Plug your ears with thumbs and nostrils with your index fingers.
- With other fingers hold the glass and drink the water in one stream.
Substituting water with peach or orange juice works also.
Breath control can play a part:
- Sit in a relax chair with backrest tilted toward extreme back to the point of your comfort.
- Inhale in a slow but consistent way till you find yourself unable to do it anymore. Struggle to extend your breath downwards into your abdomen. This will stretch down your diaphragm that would disrupt hiccups.
- Keep the posture for about half a minute.
- Exhale slowly, till lungs are void.
- Redo it four to five times until hiccups are gone.
- In fifth breath bring the backrest to the original position.
- Breathe in and out once. The moment you exhale, make sure to expel maximum amount of air outside.
- Again take in a deep breath and take out your tongue.
- For forty seconds, keep your breath in, constricting nose with fingers in your ears.
- Breathe out gradually now.
- Try it a couple of times until the technique works.
Burping also does away with hiccups. Simply you need to engulf some air and then burp it out. Do it a couple of times unless your hiccups are removed. You may, however, experience a little pain in stomach because of excessive air gulping, but the hiccups are gone!
Hiccups have natural cure, but dispensing above stated methods helps remove with them quickly. Try and see which best suits you!
Filed Under: Conditions & Treatments