5 Signs and Symptoms of Lung Cancer
Small cell and non-small cell are the two different kinds of lung cancer. Small cell lung cancer can be best treated by chemotherapy while non-small cell cancer often needs a surgery to cure.
Non-small lung cancers are usually sub categorized in three types: Adennocarcinoma, squamous cell lung carcinoma, and large cell lung carcinoma. They are often taken as a whole for they all have same diagnosis and treatment plan. Thirty two percent of the total lung cancers are adenocarcinoma. It is developed in the external lung tissue and the most common cause of this cancer is smoking.
- Squamous cell lung carcinoma holds the twenty-nine percent of the lung cancers’ count. It often originates in the central bronchus and is usually linked with cavitation.
- Nine percent of the lung cancer patients have large cell lung carcinoma. It usually grows near the surface of the lung and spreads at a swift pace.
- Small cell lung cancer develops in the larger breathing tubes and is comparatively less common than the above two types. Small cell lung cancer is caused due to excessive smoking. Chemotherapy treatment is used to cure this cancer.
- The most common symptoms include: weight loss, difficulty in swallowing, chronic cough, fatigue, hoarse voice, chest or abdominal pain. This pain is not just confined to chest or abdominal region instead it sometimes spread to shoulders and upper back region. Most of the time symptoms for lung cancer are unspecific. Pneumonia and recurrent lung infections can be warning signs.
- One of the sole causes of lung cancer is smoking. Eighty seven percent of lung cancer cases are because of smoking habit. Radon exposure is another factor causing the lung cancer. Asbestos and viruses are other factors. The most appropriate treatment for lung cancers are radiation, chemotherapy and surgery.
- Although many people think that smoking is injurious for their health, but yet there are many who don’t want to quit. Many people try to quit and fail. Presently there are so many ways and alternatives available to get rid of such addictions. If you are willing and dedicated, you can seek help from your physicians.
Filed Under: Articles